A healthier alternative to the Italian chicken crowd pleaser.
2 lbs. (900g) chicken breast, boneless, skinless
½ cup (65g) panko breadcrumbs
1 cup (100g) parmesan cheese, grated
1 tbsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. salt
3 tbsp. olive oil + 1 tsp. to grease dish
1 cup (260g) marinara sauce
1 cup (115g) mozzarella cheese, shredded
fresh basil, for garnish
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C) and grease an oven-proof dish with 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
2. Slice each chicken breast in half, lengthways, then place the chicken on a cutting board and cover with plastic wrap. Using a meat tenderizer, pound the chicken to a ½-inch thickness. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder and salt. Whisk the egg into a medium bowl.
4. Dip each chicken breast first into the beaten egg, shaking off any excess, then into the breadcrumb mixture.
5. Heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over a medium-low heat. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Wipe the skillet between each chicken breast to remove any brown bits and continue to saute the remaining pieces of chicken.
6. Transfer the chicken to an oven-proof dish and top the chicken breasts with the marinara sauce and sprinkle over the shredded mozzarella.
7. Bake the chicken in the oven for approximately 7 minutes or until the mozzarella has melted and the chicken is cooked through.
8. Sprinkle over freshly chopped basil and serve immediately.