Creamy and delicious vegetarian soup with mushrooms, kale and wild rice.
6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
6 cups (400g) mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried oregano
½ tsp. dried rosemary
⅓ cup (40g) oat flour
5 cups (1L 200ml) vegetable broth
¾ cup (180ml) oat cooking cream
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 carrots, chopped
1 cup (200g) wild rice
7 oz. (200g) kale, chopped
salt & pepper
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
1. In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over a medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 7-8 minutes until browned. Add the balsamic vinegar and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms onto a plate and set aside.
2. Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining olive oil. Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened. Next add the garlic, thyme, oregano and rosemary, cooking for a further minute.
3. Add the flour, stirring frequently until well incorporated. Pour in 2 cups of broth and whisk until the mixture thickens.
4. Now add the remaining broth, coconut cream, celery, carrot and wild rice. Bring to a simmer, then cover and cook until the rice is cooked through (see instructions of the rice packaging for guidance on cooking times).
5. Towards the end of the cook add the kale and cook for 2-3 minutes until the kale has wilted. Add the mushrooms to the pot and stir. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.