Delicious vegetarian lunch/dinner option served with leafy green salad.
1 egg, beaten, for brushing
For the base:
12 oz. (340g) white potato, unpeeled
12 oz. (340g) sweet potato, unpeeled
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. garlic granules
3 tsp. onion granules
4 tbsp. all purpose flour
For the filling:
½ cup (120ml) milk, plant based or whole
1 cup (115g) cheddar cheese, shredded
2 tbsp. chives, chopped
salt & pepper
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
1. Preheat the oven to 360°F (180°C). Grease a 9 ½ inch (24cm) round tart or pie tin.
2. Grate both potatoes and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Place the grated potato in a bowl, add in the salt, paprika, garlic and onion granules, and flour and mix well. Now add the egg and mix again.
3. Transfer the mixture into the tin and press down into the base and sides. Place the tin in the oven and bake for 25–30 minutes.
4. Remove the tin from the oven and again press the potato mixture down into the base and sides. Brush the potato base and sides with the beaten egg and place back into the oven for 5 minutes.
5. In the meantime, make the filling by whisking the eggs and milk together. Add in the cheese and chives, season with salt and pepper and mix well.
6. Pour the egg mixture onto the baked potato base and return to the oven. Bake for a further 20 minutes till the centre is just set but still a little wobbly.
7. Remove the tin from the oven, place onto a wire cooling rack and set aside to cool for 30 minutes to set before serving.